In its sixth year, the OutSystems State of Application Development Report provides a comprehensive analysis of the challenges, priorities, and innovations faced by IT teams around the globe, at a time when organizational agility has never been so important.
Agility is the central theme of this year’s report because businesses and their IT organizations face a multitude of disruptive forces in 2019. The threat of digital disruption and the consequent need for digital transformation has been a driver of IT strategy for years. Add to that the current uncertain global economic outlook, and it becomes obvious why business leaders are so concerned about agility today.
How will IT “step up to the plate” and ensure that their organizations have the speed and adaptability to thrive, despite uncertainty?
This context serves as the backdrop to our sixth annual survey of IT professionals as we seek to understand the state of application development better. We set out with five critical questions in mind:
- How are organizations’ app dev practices evolving to meet digital transformation and agility objectives?
- What are the main challenges to meeting application development goals?
- What strategies are IT teams employing to speed up application delivery?
- Are these strategies working to overcome resource constraints and reduce backlogs?
- Are new app dev practices such as low-code and citizen development making a difference?
Our research, conducted in March 2019, took us around the world, connecting us with more than 3,300 IT professionals in all kinds of industries. In this concise summary of the report, we focus on specific findings related to the banking and financial services sector.
¹ For more information on the OutSystems Group of Companies, visit the Outsystems website.